Natural Helpers are “helpers” who community members “naturally” turn to for help. These individuals are highly respected for their knowledge of available resources and services and can assist when a bilingual person is needed to help interact with the broader community.
Those who apply for our Natural Helper program should be individuals who already assist their fellow neighbors who also have connections with immigrant communities. We can help these individuals learn to better serve the members of their community.
If you or someone you know is interested in becoming a Natural Helper, please read the information below, fill out the form and submit it. Or contact Kwesi Brown at (317)969-7455 or email@example.com. You can submit the Natural Helper Application to Kwesi Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Holds a legal status in the US, Be able to read and write in English and their native language.
- Demonstrate bilingual skills and be able to read and write in their native language.
- Have a history of serving members of an immigrant or refugee community in Indianapolis that struggles to meet basic needs and be a person community members turn to for help.
- Be knowledgeable about her/his community’s activities and members.
- Be able to provide references.
- Attend a mandatory 36-hour training program. Classes are held in the evenings or on weekends.
- Attend ongoing bimonthly training. Sessions take place on weeknights from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
- File confidential reports online about their work with clients.
- Volunteer to serve in the community and at Immigrant Welcome Center events.